[Ads-l] thoughts on this idea? variant pronunciations in a dictionary receive individual etymologies

Tim Stewart timoteostewart1977 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 9 01:57:34 UTC 2017

Thanks, all, for the insightful comments about IPA and in some cases about
phonetic transcription more broadly.

It's truly a shame that the American dictionary establishment has so
utterly eschewed IPA. Merriam-Webster's, Random House, American Heritage,
Webster's New World... all these and more use a more or less similar
respelling scheme that Wikipedia denominates "United States dictionary
transcription
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:United_States_dictionary_transcription>."
The opening lines of this Wikipedia article read: "This phonetic notation
is a generic US dictionary-style respelling system, similar to those used
by American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, and Random House dictionaries. Such
systems were once used in other anglophone countries, before being
abandoned for the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA). They are still
more familiar to people educated in the United States than is the IPA, but
are virtually unknown outside North America and may be found to be
impenetrable in other countries."

Tim

Read excerpts from the forthcoming *Dictionary of Christianese
<http://www.dictionaryofchristianese.com/>*