[Ads-l] [Non-DoD Source] Re: "Gaslight" as a verb only five decades old

MULLINS, WILLIAM D (Bill) CIV USARMY RDECOM AMRDEC (US) william.d.mullins18.civ at MAIL.MIL
Wed Jan 11 17:22:01 UTC 2017

I vaguely recall an episode of the The Lucy Show in which gaslighting is a plot element.  Google reveals:

"06) Episode 141: “Lucy Gets Mooney Fired” (Aired: 11/06/67 | Filmed: 09/21/67)

Lucy inadvertently gets Mooney fired after she covers up a bank shortage. To convince Cheever to give Mooney his job back, Lucy gives him the Gaslight treatment.

Written by Fred S. Fox and Seaman Jacobs

I love how kooky this episode is WITHOUT managing to insult its audience’s intelligence. Taking a cue from Gaslight (1944), Lucy decides to make Cheever think he has gone crazy, so that he’ll agree to rehire Mr. Mooney. The script itself isn’t that funny, but the bits Lucy does to make Cheever flip are great. This is, deservedly, a fan favorite."