[Ads-l] 1961 psychology use Re: [ADS-L] [Non-DoD Source] Re: "Gaslight" as a verb only five decades old

Fri Jan 13 18:23:57 UTC 2017

Here are some more raw matches in GB in the 1960s. I think they are
interesting because they directly mention the verb form "to gaslight"
and, in essence, the evolution of language.

Film fame - Page 23
https://books.google.com/books?id=89JkAAAAMAAJ
Warren Goldsmith - 1966
... the 1944 Oscar, and "to gaslight" went into the English language
as a verb meaning sinister deception. For the next decade Ingrid was
consistently near the top of the Motion Picture Herald's poll of
money-making stars; her serene home life ...

Essays in self-destruction - Page 199
https://books.google.com/books?id=o4pqAAAAMAAJ
Edwin S. Shneidman - 1967 - ‎Snippet view - ‎More editions
Wallace19 has "shame" following the anxiety resulting from a poor
self-image; he uses the verb "to gaslight"— apparently taking it from
the film in which Charles Boyer "makes" Ingrid Bergman ill by planting
"her" mistakes for her to contemplate ...