[Ads-l] Bunkum maybe (?) antedated to 1824, Re: [ADS-L] bunkum = 'nonsense' (1838)

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 18 19:28:32 UTC 2017

There are plenty of ambiguous "bunkum" cites from the 1820s and '30s --
some in the sense of "excellent" noted by HDAS, some with an unspecified
meaning, perhaps simply used as a funny-sounding word. I agree with Larry
that it sounds a bit like a "hocus pocus" mock-Latin incantation. So when
the "talking to Buncombe" story circulated, that made it easy to assimilate
"Buncombe" into the silly, nonsensical realm of "bunkum."