[Ads-l] bunkum = 'nonsense' (1838)

Thu Jan 19 05:23:48 UTC 2017

Below is a footnoted instance of "Bunkum" in January 1835. I think it
is interesting because the word is not part of a phrase such as "to
Bunkum" or "for Bunkum".

Here "spoke Bunkum" meant "delivered a long pointless speech", I think.

Date: Jan 10, 1835
Correspondence of the Working Men's Advocate.
Workingman's Advocate (1830-1836);
New York 6.22 page 0_3
Database: Proquest American Periodicals

[Begin excerpt - double check]
Washington, Wednesday, Jan. 7, 1835.
Sir--We have nothing of any particular importance to communicate from
either House today. After the presentation of resolutions, &c. Mr.
Chilton resumed his remarks, and spoke Bunkum* for about three
quarters of an hour; after which the Navy Pay Bill was again called
up.
[End excerpt]

[Begin footnote]
* Col. Johnson tells the story--A certain member from the district in
which Bunkum, (N.C.) was included, was in the habit of making long
speeches, to little purpose. He excused himself be saying that he was
not speaking to the House, but to Bunkum.
[End excerpt]

Below is an excerpt from a speech by Richard M. Johnson. He shared an
anecdote about the North Carolina politician Mr. Walker who first told
his colleagues that he was speaking Bunkum.