[Ads-l] Quote: There is no God, and Harriet is his prophet (1851 August)

Sun Jan 22 06:21:46 UTC 2017

Way back in January 2011 that was a thread about the saying in the
subject line. Now there is a Quote Investigator entry on this topic:

There Is No God, and Harriet Martineau Is His Prophet
http://quoteinvestigator.com/2017/01/20/prophet/

[Begin acknowledgment]
Great thanks to Victor Steinbok whose inquiry led QI to formulate this
question and perform this exploration. Steinbok remarked that Wolfgang
Pauli used an instance aimed at Paul Dirac. He also knew that an
earlier instance named Robert G. Ingersoll. Thanks also to Ben Zimmer
who mentioned the connection to the Islamic profession of faith.
[End acknowledgment]

Feedback welcome
Garson