[Ads-l] Hypernegation in the Times

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Jan 23 02:09:37 UTC 2017

> On Jan 22, 2017, at 6:13 PM, Mark Mandel <thnidu at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> This is something I've been wondering about. Is is possible (likely) that
> for some people "deny" is developing a sense 'state a negative'? I.e.,
> "deny X" would be equivalent to "say X", with the requirement that X is a
> negative statement.

Hard to distinguish this from Jespersen's blend analysis:  “deny that p” + “state that not-p” —> “deny that not-p”.  The result, as in the Shakespeare quote at the bottom of this page (which I borrow from Jespersen’s classic, and now 100-year-old, paper “Negation in English and Other Languages”), is a frequent take on hypernegation more generally, as in “I miss not seeing you around” (“miss V-ing” + regret not V-ing) or “No one is too poor not to own an automobile” (“too poor to” + “so poor that not…”) or “Don’t be surprised if it doesn’t rain” (see various Language Log posts).

While, as I say, the reanalysis suggestion Mark makes and the blend analysis make similar predictions, they make different claims about what’s in the speaker’s head.  If a given speaker always uses “deny” with a negative complement to mean “deny that p” (= “claim that not-p”) rather than “deny that not-p” (= “claim that p”), there has been a change in the lexicon for at least that speaker.

LH