[Ads-l] "Alternative facts" for EOTY

Baker, John JBAKER at STRADLEY.COM
Mon Jan 23 18:57:53 UTC 2017

For better or worse, I would say that a quote does not become unnotable simply because it is widely misunderstood.

In any case, I think that Conway bears a measure of responsibility for expressing herself poorly.  If she meant that a better or more accurate understanding of the facts was being presented, she should have said that.  Frankly, I don't think she was all that comfortable focusing on the factual accuracy of Spicer's statements.

John Baker

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Shapiro, Fred
Sent: Monday, January 23, 2017 1:29 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: "Alternative facts" for EOTY

My initial reaction when I heard that Kellyanne Conway had said something about "alternative facts" was that this was a remarkable quote that was well-positioned to become the notable quotation of the year, if not the century.  But upon studying the quote a little further, it seems very likely that Conway simply meant to say "more accurate facts than those being alleged by the anti-Trump media."  The larger idea that the new President and his administration are prone to uttering falsehoods may be spot-on, but the Conway quote, I think, is being distorted and that distortion will play into a narrative that the "mainstream media" are completely "out to get" the Trump administration.

Fred Shapiro