[Ads-l] "Mental", n.

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at NETSCAPE.COM
Tue Jan 24 06:06:20 UTC 2017

On Mon, 23 Jan 2017 11:17:29 Zone - 0500 Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU> quoted

>"Matt’s been a grinder, getting his mental right”
>—Superbowl-bound Atlanta Falcons’ longtime receiver/kick returner Eric
>Weems, on Falcons’ quarterback Matt Ryan (quoted in today’s Monday
>Morning Quarterback by Peter King)

A somewhat similar (probably unrelated) usage, from Dr. X (pseud for Alan Nourse MD) _Intern_  published 1965
Google Books snippet view only

<quote>
I remember from medical school how the surgeons at Hopkins would bring some doddering old man out for a case presentation to the students and start off by pointing to him and saying, "Gentlemen, this Stomach was admitted to the hospital for the first time the night of November 5th..."
</quote>

https://books.google.com/books?id=C-JJ6OFUe9AC&dq=Intern%2Bdr+x&focus=searchwithinvolume&q=%22this+stomach+was+admitted%22

- Jim Landau

If anyone be interested, I have the paperback of _Intern_ and I can dig out the entire quote.