[Ads-l] "Alternative facts" for EOTY

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Tue Jan 24 10:00:52 UTC 2017

Whatever Conway meant, it reminded me of a Trump supporter, Scottie Nell Hughes, on the Diane Rehm Show last Nov. 30. Below is part of the transcript. The context is available at
http://thedianerehmshow.org/shows/2016-11-30/how-journalists-are-rethinking-their-role-under-a-trump-presidency

[....]

  *
10:22:31

HUGHESWell, I think it's also an idea of an opinion. And that's -- on one hand I hear half the media saying that these are lies, but on the other half there are many people that go, no, it's true. And so one thing that has been interesting this entire campaign season to watch is that people that say facts are facts, they're not really facts. Everybody has a way, it's kind of like looking at ratings or looking at a glass of half-full water. Everybody has a way of interpreting them to be the truth or not true.

  *
     *
10:23:00

HUGHESThere's no such thing, unfortunately, anymore of facts. And so Mr. Trump's tweet amongst a certain crowd, a large -- a large part of the population, are truth. When he says that millions of people illegally voted, he has some -- in his -- amongst him and his supporters, and people believe they have facts to back that up. Those that do not like Mr. Trump, they say that those are lies, and there's no facts to back it up. So...

[....]
  *
     *
10:25:36

HUGHESBut because in many states you can mail things in, those were -- so yes, there is facts to back up what I said and why Trump supporters believe it. You are wrong, sir. [....]

Stephen Goranson

http://people.duke.edu/~goranson/