[Ads-l] End of Euphemisms

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Jan 24 14:04:25 UTC 2017

> On Jan 24, 2017, at 8:54 AM, Joel Berson <berson at ATT.NET> wrote:
>
> I think this began to appear in the Times some weeks ago, but I can't quote a headline.
>
> Joel

Well, they used it in a headline before the election:

“Trump Gives Up a Lie but Refuses to Repent”

about the birther claim, back in September.

See
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/20/public-editor/trump-birther-lie-liz-spayd-public-editor.html
http://www.npr.org/2016/09/22/494919548/new-york-times-editor-we-owed-it-to-our-readers-to-call-trump-claims-lies

But I don’t think (although I could be wrong) that the L-word had been used before today in a headline after the regime change.  Of course, that’s only 4 days ago.

LH