[Ads-l] "Alternative facts" for EOTY

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 25 11:48:18 UTC 2017

The Net finds numerous recent posts asserting that leading self-help guru
Friedrich Nietzsche once wrote, "What is the truth but a lie agreed upon?"

And if a bigshot said it, it must be true.

GB reveals no authentic attributions to Freddy, and none before 2016.

A blog site confidently attributes "Truth Is a Lie Agreed Upon" to (wait
for it)..."Abraham Lincoln."

Cf. the older and ever-popular "History is a lie agreed upon."

So who, Garson, really introduced the phrase attributed to Nietzsche?

JL