[Ads-l] flippening (crypto jargon)

Barretts Mail mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jul 11 03:22:17 UTC 2017

March 18, 2017 has the following citation explaining the flippening:

https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/op-ed-can-ethereum-overtake-bitcoin/ <https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/op-ed-can-ethereum-overtake-bitcoin/>
"Can Ethereum Overtake Bitcoin?” by Andrew Quentson

—
On the other hand, a united, happy and peaceful community talks of a flippening – a point when eth’s market cap overtakes bitcoin’s.
—

“Eth" refers to ethereum, generally considered the number two cryptocoin. “Market cap” means “market capitalization,” the aggregate total value of a particular coin.

The earliest citation I’ve found (I didn’t search very hard) is nine months ago, meaning November 2016:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ethtrader/comments/56tlsz/the_internet_of_ransomware_things/ <https://www.reddit.com/r/ethtrader/comments/56tlsz/the_internet_of_ransomware_things/>
flossraptor Flippening 2 points 9 months ago

However, the word “flippening" appears to be a label that perhaps was changed later than the posting date.

But it seems likely to be the approximate date as http://www.flippened.com/?page_id=69 <http://www.flippened.com/?page_id=69> has a copyright of 2016.

Benjamin Barrett
Formerly of Seattle, WA