[Ads-l] "In my room"

Jim Parish jparish at SIUE.EDU
Thu Jul 13 22:11:49 UTC 2017

A while back, I was reading Pepys' Diary and was struck by the repeated
(metaphorical) use of "in my room", where, in my idiolect, "in my place"
or even "in my stead" would be more natural. Now, I'm reading _Roderick
Random_, written about eighty years later, and I have encountered the
phrase again.

I have never run into the phrase anywhere else, and certainly not in any
contemporary source. So I'm curious: is this construction still in use
anywhere? Does anyone know when and where it was used?

Jim Parish