[Ads-l] Niels Bohr Quote

Fri Jul 28 19:06:27 UTC 2017

Great work Bill, Chris and Ben. Here is the version of the episode
recounted in Otto R. Frisch's memoir:

[ref] 1979, What Little I Remember by Otto R. Frisch, Chapter Denmark
1934-1939, Quote Page 95, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge,
England. (Verified on paper)[/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
I remember an occasion when after a lengthy discussion on the
fundamental problems of quantum theory a visitor said 'It makes me
quite giddy to think about these problems.' Bohr immediately rounded
on him and said 'But, but, but. . .if anybody says he can think about
quantum theory without getting giddy it merely shows that he hasn't
understood the first thing about it!' He never trusted a purely formal
or mathematical argument. 'No, no' he would say 'You are not thinking;
you are just being logical.'
[End excerpt]

Garson