[Ads-l] Heard on F.B.I. Files: "Schuylkill [skool.kill] County, in a mountainous region...

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jun 1 01:06:54 UTC 2017

On May 19, 2017 8:36 PM, "Wilson Gray" wrote:

of northeastern Pennsylvania."

Up here in the Pocono Mountains, Schuylkill County, immediately south of
Luzerne County, where I live, is pronounced "Skookle ..." by the locals.
Yet, they feel no shame.

 As here in Philadelphia they pronounce the name of the river so named. But
why *should* they feel shame? This is the way they learned to say it,
passed down the generations from the Dutch, with expectable changes en
route – as always happens in language.

Mark (not MARCVS)