[Ads-l] bakery bread

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Jun 1 01:29:06 UTC 2017

Today, I would assume that "creamery butter" is advertising double-speak meaning something like "butter" and hopefully carrying something of a hint if "artisanal".

But looking back at late 1800s/early 1900s newspapers, they made a distinction in ag-business reporting between"dairy butter" (made by farmers at the milk producing dairy source) and "creamery butter" (made at creameries that bought milk from the farmers).
________________________________
From: Jonathan Lighter<mailto:wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM>
Sent: ‎5/‎31/‎2017 17:46
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU<mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject: Re: bakery bread

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM>

Some of you may be overthinking this.

"Creamery butter" sounds better than plain old "butter," and "bakery bread"
sounds better than crummy old "bread."

At least that's the dynamic of "creamery butter" as it was cynically
explained to me decades ago.

JL

--=20