[Ads-l] bakery bread

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Jun 1 16:37:48 UTC 2017

It's hard to say what any particular advertiser thought - or how it went over with the public - at any particular time, but I did a spot-check browse through a few decades of "dairy butter"/"creamery butter" articles and saw some interesting things.

Creamery operations seem to have become a big thing in the 1870s.  Initially, they were still, more or less, local.  They collected cream, and not milk, from large local area, turning that cream into butter.  Since cream made up about 10 percent of the volume of milk, transportation costs were lower.

One difference between "creamery butter" and "dairy butter" was that creameries made "sweet" butter from fresh cream, whereas dairies that made butter from cream would generally make it from sour cream, which gave it a nuttier taste that some people liked.  But dairymen could also make "milk butter" which was of a lower quality.

One problem with "dairy butter" was that the quality was erratic, given that there were so many sources.  An 1880 article suggested that perhaps half of all "dairy butter" was unfit for human consumption.  A large creamery operation would make more butter of a consistent level of quality.

In 1900, there was a debate in Canada about whether to restrict the term "creamery butter" to creameries only - or whether to allow smaller producers, who had mastered the techniques of the larger producers to use the term.  One proposal was for all "dairies" of nine or fewer cows to be restricted to using "dairy butter," whereas larger dairy operations could call it "creamery butter."  Not sure whether that proposal passed - but it was seen as unfair to small operations with well-trained operators, and too generous to larger farms that might not have the same quality control.

And the distinction mattered.  By one report, in the early 1900s, "dairy butter" could be sold for about 12 cent a pound, whereas "creamery butter" went for 25 cents.  There were also reports that farmers could get a better price for their "dairy butter" if they sold it to a creamery.  But the creamery might just turn around and sell it as "creamery butter" after doctoring it up a bit, so some creameries were unscrupulous.

And all of this was happening against the backdrop of the invention and increasing popularity of oleomargarine made from lard, which was a whole 'nuther thing.