[Ads-l] Combining two people's names: Javanka

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at MST.EDU
Sun Jun 4 00:20:38 UTC 2017

Benjamin Barrett wrote:

<snip>

"This sort of name combination has occurred in the past, though I can't think of any instances."

<snip>

During President Clinton's time in office there was "Billary" (Bill + Hillary).

G. Cohen

________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Barretts Mail <mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM>
Sent: Saturday, June 3, 2017 12:03 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Combining two people's names: Javanka

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       Barretts Mail <mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM>

Today CNN has an article titled =E2=80=9CIvanka Trump's Worst Week in =
Washington=E2=80=9D =
(http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/03/politics/ivanka-trump-worst-week-in-washing=
ton/index.html =
<http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/03/politics/ivanka-trump-worst-week-in-washing=
ton/index.html>) by Chris Cillizza in which he writes:

=E2=80=94=20
Bannon represents a hard-charging, nationalist, populist, =
anti-establishment view of politics. Ivanka and her husband -- "Javanka" =
for short -- are far more liberal and moderate-minded.
=E2=80=94

This sort of name combination has occurred in the past, though I can=E2=80=
=99t think of any instances.=20

There must be phonological rules at play, something somebody must have =
figured out by now. To borrow from words from grafting =
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grafting =
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grafting>), in this combination the =
stressed syllables in Jared (the scion) and Ivanka (the stock) are both =
preserved.

Also providing some welcome (imnsho) criticism of the word Javanka, the =
article "How a portmanteau for Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner tore apart =
Twitter=E2=80=9D =
(https://www.dailydot.com/unclick/javanka-ivanka-trump-jared-kushner/ =
<https://www.dailydot.com/unclick/javanka-ivanka-trump-jared-kushner/>) =
by David Covucci in the The Daily Dot provides more examples:

Ben Affleck + Jennifer Lopez =3D Bennifer
Brad Pitt + Angelina Jolie =3D Brangelina
Wilmer Valderrama + Lindsay Lohan =3D Lohalderrama

In each case, the stressed syllable in each is preserved, and in each =
case, the man=E2=80=99s name is given first on the left side of the =
equation regardless of alphabetical order and regardless of the ordering =
in the resulting combination.

Probable factors in how these are combined are that men=E2=80=99s names =
are frequently clipped to a monosyllabic form (thus having only one =
syllable from which to choose) and women=E2=80=99s names are frequently =
two or more syllables.

I have no love of the celebrosphere, or whatever it=E2=80=99s called, so =
here is another article with more words; perhaps this is a good project =
for a linguistics student:

=
http://www.suggest.com/celebs/532/14-best-celeb-supercouple-names-we-love-=
to-say/ =