[Ads-l] Combining two people's names: Javanka

Barretts Mail mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jun 4 03:56:17 UTC 2017

Thank you. I tried searching; I should have tried with specific portmanteaus.

Perhaps rather than saying the stressed syllable, it is better to say that the rime of each stressed syllable is preserved (BZ’s Vocabulary article and December 2005 Language Log article), though

Rab Butler + Hugh Gaitskell = Butskell

at least is an exception. Perhaps the shared “t” in the rime of each is the fusion key in that one.

The example of

Robert Pattinson + Kristen Stewart = Robsten

is an interesting combination of a first name and a last name, perhaps due to the lack of similar rimes. And I think only Merkozy in AZ’s February 2012 article has an instance in which the woman’s name is mentioned first.

Still a good puzzle for a linguistics student.

Benjamin Barrett
Formerly of Seattle, WA