[Ads-l] Heard, spoken by a white person

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jun 12 05:34:54 UTC 2017

Thanks for the ref, Matthew.

This structure is so common in BE that, until I was in my middle thirties,
I was under the impression that the only thing "non-standard" about it was
the double negative, as in

"Can't anybody stay with her" vs. "Can't nobody stay with her."

Otherwise, I never gave it a second thought, beyond making a point of not
using the double negative - though still applying the inversion - when
speaking to members of the prescribing classes.

On Fri, Jun 9, 2017 at 1:39 AM, Gordon, Matthew J. <GordonMJ at missouri.edu>
wrote:

> Yes, this structure is used in some white dialects, and there are
> interesting cross-dialect differences in terms of what's allowable. The
> Yale Grammatical Diversity Project has a good overview:
> http://ygdp.yale.edu/phenomena/negative-inversion
>
> Matt Gordon

-Wilson
-----