[Ads-l] "hard as Chinese arithmetic": HDAS 1977, antedating

Sat Jun 17 19:58:36 UTC 2017

Below is a non-metaphorical phrase with "hard' and "Chinese
arithmetic" in 1963. The use suggests (to me) that the journalist was
referencing an established figure of speech.

Date: August 8, 1963
Periodical: Jet
Quote Page 57
Publisher: Johnson Publishing Company, Chicago, Illinois

[Begin excerpt]
Arrest Negro Writing Policy Numbers In Chinese

Police found it hard as Chinese arithmetic to catch John Singleton,
Philadelphia numbers suspect. Singleton, 44, was observed taking bets
inside a laundromat, but officers couldn't figure out the strange
markings on the pad of paper. After hurried trips to local Immigration
and Customs houses and a Japanese doctor, police were finally referred
to a Korean student, who identified the numerals as Chinese. The
accused was held in $300 bail.
[End excerpt]