[Ads-l] the KY

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jun 24 17:19:53 UTC 2017

There's something to that...

---
https://variety.com/2016/tv/news/the-o-c-reunion-at-atx-television-festival-1201793907/
The famous line “welcome to the O.C., b-tch” was inspired by water polo
players at USC where ["The O.C." creator Josh] Schwartz went to school —
and so was the show’s title.
The most famous line of the series, uttered by Luke (Chris Carmack) to Ryan
(Ben McKenzie), came from Schwartz, who was playfully making fun of the
water polo players at USC.
“When I was at SC, there were all these waterpolo guys that refer to Orange
County as ‘the O.C.’…as if they were referring to ‘the LBC,'” Schwartz
said, laughing that Orange County is not nearly as hard as Long Beach, but
the blonde athletes definitely thought it was.
“It was always a bit of an ironic title for us,” Schwartz said.
---