[Ads-l] bona fide (adj.), 1755

Margaret Winters mewinters at WAYNE.EDU
Fri Jun 30 18:14:17 UTC 2017

There is a nice book on the evidence for Classical Latin pronunciation: W. Sidney Allen (1965) Vox Latina. Cambridge UP.  For those who are interested, he also wrote Vox Graeca, also Cambridge.  There is also Nicholas Ostler (2007) Ad Infinitum: A Biography of Latin. Walker, which has a bit about spelling and pronunciation.

best,

Margaret

----------------------------
MARGARET E WINTERS
Former Provost
Professor Emerita - French and Linguistics
Wayne State University
Detroit, MI  48202

mewinters at wayne.edu

________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Stanton McCandlish <smccandlish at GMAIL.COM>
Sent: Friday, June 30, 2017 1:19 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: bona fide (adj.), 1755

Is there a good resource on the differing approaches to pronunciation of
Latin?  I never took Latin formally, but have absorbed a lot of obscure
vocabulary from studies of the Roman imperial era.  I've noticed people
vary sharply between "keteris", "seteris" and "cheteris" for a word like
*ceteris*, with "keteris" being how a Roman would have said it (at least in
the early empire).  I'm guessing modern pronunciation as "seteris" is from
Spanish and French influence, and "cheteris" from Church influence, but am
uncertain about this (I'm not Catholic, either).  I just remember a
professor giving "FEE-nus AF-ruh-chay" for "*Finis Africae*" and wondering
why.

I seem to also recall that Latin during its living language range had
pronunciations shift, though I'm not sure which ones in what directions,
and whether those shifts were consistent.  Curious when and where *c* started
to turn sibilant before short vowels, *v* to our [v] sound instead of
[u]/[w], *ae* away from a diphthong to [i] (English "ee"), etc.

--
Stanton McCandlish
McCandlish Consulting

+1 415 234 3992

https://www.linkedin.com/in/SMcCandlish
[https://media.licdn.com/mpr/mpr/shrinknp_200_200/AAEAAQAAAAAAAAhsAAAAJGQyMGFjYTljLWQ2OWMtNDAxMi1iNGIxLTA3MzhlODFjMDAzZQ.jpg]<https://www.linkedin.com/in/SMcCandlish>

Stanton McCandlish | LinkedIn<https://www.linkedin.com/in/SMcCandlish>
www.linkedin.com
View Stanton McCandlish’s professional profile on LinkedIn. LinkedIn is the world's largest business network, helping professionals like Stanton McCandlish discover ...

On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 9:37 AM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu>
wrote:

> I was struck by Stephen Colbert’s pronunciation of “bona fide” not in the
> standard style of non-lawyers, “bonified”—which has indeed spawned the
> eggcornish orthographic reanalysis along these lines—or as the juridical
> “bon-uh FIE-dee”, both of which Ben mentions, but with the pronunciation
> that would have warmed the heart of my, and Colbert’s, Latin teachers,
> /‘bon@ fide/.
>
> He was raised Catholic and attended parochial school, which probably
> explains it—we’d have to check to see if he uses /tS/ for <c> before front
> vowels, as in “c(h)eteris paribus” or “ecc(h)e homo”, to know whether his
> Latin is classical or church.
>
> LH
>

> > On Jun 30, 2017, at 12:25 PM, Ben Zimmer <bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
> >
> > My latest WSJ column is on "bona fide," much in the news thanks to the
> > SCOTUS ruling on the Trump administration's travel ban.
> >
> > https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-bona-fide-became-a-key-
> player-in-travel-ban-debate-1498835369
> >
> > Twitter link to follow if paywalled:
> >
> > https://twitter.com/bgzimmer/status/880815456113897472
[https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/510517460773007360/UKfBppaU_400x400.jpeg]<https://twitter.com/bgzimmer/status/880815456113897472>

Ben Zimmer on Twitter<https://twitter.com/bgzimmer/status/880815456113897472>
twitter.com
“The SCOTUS ruling on the travel ban has everyone puzzling over the meaning of "bona fide." My latest for @WSJ. https://t.co/AcPDZLbcpG”

> > The OED entry hasn't been updated since... 1887? Anyway, I didn't see
> > anything earlier than the OED's 1542-3 cite for adverbial "bona fide" on
> > EEBO, but the adjectival sense is easily antedated (OED has 1788).
> >
> > Reports of Adjudged Cases in the Courts of Chancery, King's Bench, Common
> > Pleas and Exchequer, Volume 2, 1755.
> >
> > p. 1162: And the sessions having held, that his taking to this acre, and
> > living on it eight years, did not gain a settlement under 9 Geo. I. c. 7.
> > which requires a /bona fide/ payment of 30 l.
> > https://books.google.com/books?id=ogJLAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA1162
[https://books.google.com/books/content?id=ogJLAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&img=1&zoom=1&edge=curl&imgtk=AFLRE71EtQwfRgwujUAetQkO1D5vZrzYddV9EfkuzMYgnz-dppz3SaXPtD4bCMFacDddZYoWG0AqhE59xwMDsquAdn9363pHbYD8-g6595e7aTcHQBr0JJOdqWfEgtcKtLkhMnxn1QCF]<https://books.google.com/books?id=ogJLAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA1162>

Reports of Adjudged Cases in the Courts of Chancery<https://books.google.com/books?id=ogJLAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA1162>
books.google.com
/

> > p. 1207: [Y]et the bankrupt had in the mean time such a property in them,
> > as enabled him to transact and sell to a /bona fide/ purchaser.
> > https://books.google.com/books?id=ogJLAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA1207
> >
> > --bgz

American Dialect Society<http://www.americandialect.org/>
www.americandialect.org
The American Dialect Society, founded in 1889, is dedicated to the study of the English language in North America, and of other languages, or dialects of other ...