[Ads-l] "snorkel" mailbox

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 1 23:59:05 UTC 2017

The article describes the criminal activity the new boxes are designed to
thwart thus:

She added that the new mailboxes are designed to deter thieves from
"fishing" for mail by rigging adhesive tape or other devices into the
opening and then retrieving it to hunt for cash or checks.
<<<<<

The article consistently refers to this activity as a "scam". I would not
have used that word, which I have always considered to involve deception,
whereas this type of thievery involves no interaction between the criminal
and the victim at all.

Merriam-Webster online (https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/scam)

Definition of scam

   1.

   :  a fraudulent or deceptive act or operation
   2. - an insurance *scam*

 So is this a one-time aberration or a spread or change in the meaning of
the word as used? And is *it* in the OED?

Mark