[Ads-l] Pronunciation

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Mar 2 00:25:09 UTC 2017

Oops, I did it again.  I actually (this is an almost true fact) have a single entry in my mental lexicon for both Robert Louis Stevenson and Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, despite my understanding that not only were the two in fact different individuals, they weren’t even from the same side of the Atlantic, and that Longfellow was born in the U.S. a generation before Stevenson was born in Scotland.  Still, even knowing this, I inevitably conflate the two; I’m sure it’s the stress pattern.  So Longfellow si, Child’s Garden no.  But if Longfellow *had* been Stevenson, I’m sure he’d have tucked the little girl and her curl into the Child’s Garden.

LH