[Ads-l] Saying: Fascism will come disguised as anti-fascism

Thu Mar 2 04:02:33 UTC 2017

Peter Reitan wrote:
> I found the 1938 Mencken citation when the discussion was going on here
> last week, but didn't mention it here because I was under the impression
> that someone had already found an early citation.

Thanks for searching, Peter. Yes, you are right I already found and
posted a citation that was earlier than H. L. Mencken's column. But I
think Mencken is such an important figure that his words are worth
sharing.

Peter Reitan wrote:
> I also found a news item from 1933 that expressed the general idea that
> anti-fascists could act with fascist-style violence, although not in a pithy
> phrase and not by a notable personage.  Interestingly (at least to me)
> the news item involves a "The Fugitive"-style manhunt for a one-armed man:

Right, I agree with you. I also found the "one-armed man" citation
before I posted on Feb 23. I didn't mention it because I thought
"intimidation and terrorism, under the guise of Anti-Fascism" deviated
too far from the target saying, but that is a subjective judgment,
i.e., the type of judgment we are making all the time.

Garson