[Ads-l] fun with dangling modifiers

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Mar 4 14:54:18 UTC 2017

> On Mar 4, 2017, at 9:35 AM, Arnold M. Zwicky <zwicky at STANFORD.EDU> wrote:
>
> about an example from this mailing list, on my blog:
>
> https://arnoldzwicky.org/2017/03/04/the-power-of-the-subject-rule/

Arnold notes that he was unable to track down Wilson’s dangler [not as dirty as it sounds], i.e.
"A nine-year-old boy is being hailed a hero for saving his mother’s life after being struck by lightning.”

I couldn’t find it either, but I did locate a couple of equally amazing rescues:
Slippers save man's life after being struck by lightning

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/articles/slippers-saves-mans-life-after-being-struck-by-lightning/68977

Texas teen says boot saved her life after being struck by lightning.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/texas-teen-says-boot-saved-her-life-after-being-struck-by-lightning/

Nine-year-old boy, shmine-year-old boy:  All hail the heroic footwear!

LH