[Ads-l] Anecdote: Knowing where to tap

Mon Mar 6 19:32:35 UTC 2017

Thanks, Jim. Below is a version of the Steinmetz anecdote from a
letter in LIFE magazine in 1965.

[ref] 1965 March 14, LIFE, Letters to the Editors (Letter from Jack B.
Scott, O'Fallon, Illinois), Quote Page 27, Column 3 and 4, Time Inc.,
New York. (Google Books Full View) link [/ref]

https://books.google.com/books?id=QFMEAAAAMBAJ&q=%22chalk+mark%22#v=snippet&q=%22chalk%20mark%22&f=false

[Begin excerpt]
CHARLES STEINMETZ

Sirs:
In your article on Steinmetz (April 23) you mentioned a consultation
with Henry Ford. My father, Burt Scott, who was an employe of Henry
Ford for many years, related to me the story behind that meeting.
Technical troubles developed with a huge new generator at Ford's River
Rouge plant. His electrical engineers were unable to locate the
difficulty so Henry Ford solicited the aid of Steinmetz.

When "the little giant" arrived at the plant, he rejected all
assistance, asking only for a notebook, pencil and cot. For two
straight days and nights he listened to the generator and made
countless computations. Then he asked for a ladder, a measuring tape
and a piece of chalk. He laboriously ascended the ladder, made careful
measurements and put a chalk mark on the side of the generator.

He descended and told his skeptical audience to remove a plate from
the side of the generator and take out 16 windings from the field coil
at that location. The corrections were made and the generator then
functioned perfectly. Subsequently Ford received a bill for $10,000
signed by Steinmetz for G.E. Ford returned the bill acknowledging the
good job done by Steinmetz but respectfully requesting an itemized
statement.

Steinmetz replied as follows:
  Making chalk mark on generator $1.
  Knowing where to make mark $9,999.