[Ads-l] Groucho--really?

Fri Mar 10 21:20:35 UTC 2017

JL: Here is a 1712 match with "the future is yet unborn, and the past
is dead" and "present time alone is ours".

Year: 1765 Reprint
Periodical: The Spectator In Eight Volumes (Carefully Revised and Corrected)
Editors: Joseph Addison and Richard Steele
Volume 4
Number 316
Printed for D. Williams and P. Dods in the Strand, London
Monday, March 3, 1712 (Monday based on Julian Calendar)
[By Mr. Budgel.]
Start Page 295, Quote Page 297

[Begin excerpt]
To-morrow is still the fatal time when all is to be rectified;
to-morrow comes, it goes, and still I please myself with the shadow,
whilst I lose the reality; unmindful that the present time alone is
ours, the future is yet unborn, and the past is dead, and can only
live (as parents in their children) in the actions it has produced.
[End excerpt]

Garson