[Ads-l] Groucho--really?

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 13 15:44:15 UTC 2017

"Philosofy" was one of the "simplified spellings" that often appeared in
the Chicago Tribune from the '30s to the '70s (the Tribune's editor and
owner Joseph Medill was active in the spelling reform movement). See Erin
McKean's 2011 piece in the Washington Post:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/after-the-spelling-bee-imagining-a-
world-without-standardized-spelling/2011/06/02/AGJkF5HH_story.html

Similarly, the Trib spelled "photograph" as "photograf." I don't know why
they didn't go whole hog and use "filosofy" and "fotograf."