[Ads-l] Groucho--really?

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Tue Mar 14 15:20:05 UTC 2017

Nice finds, Bill.

Stephen

________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <...> on behalf of MULLINS, WILLIAM D (Bill) CIV USARMY RDECOM AMRDEC (US) <...>
Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2017 11:15 AM
To: ...
Subject: Re: [ADS-L] Groucho--really?

_Binghamton [NY] Press_ 2 Dec 1948 p 21 col 6 [fultonhistory.com, newspapers.com]

>From Phil Willon's column, "All in Fun"

"Outside of a dog, a policeman is a boy's best friend. Inside of a dog, a boy isn't likely to meet one anyhow."

_Binghamton [NY] Press_ 6 Sep 1950 p 25 col 3 [fultonhistory.com, newspapers.com]

>From Phil Willon's column, "All in Fun"

"Outside of a dog, of course, a diamond is a girl's best friend.  Inside of a dog, you can't see it anyhow."

[Nashville, TN] _The Tennesseean_ 23 Nov 1952 p 8 col 1 [newspapers.com]

>From Red O'Donnell's column, "Top o'the Mornin'"

"Clever comic Jimmy Husson's observation:  "Book is man's best friend, outside of a dog.  Inside, it's too dark to read anyhow."

_Somerset (PA) American_ 29 Aug 1953 p 4 col 8 [newspaperarchive.com]

"A book is man's best friend, outside of a dog and inside a dog it's too dark to read."

Comedian Jimmy Husson worked a lot in the Pennsylvania area in the 1940s-1950s; this cite could have originated with him as well.

First Groucho cite:

_Philadelphia Daily News_ 5 Apr 1973 p 25 col 3 [newspapers.com]

"Groucho Marx on friendship:  "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.  That's because inside a dog, it's too dark to read." "