[Ads-l] "_pop_ my dick-string"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 15 05:01:57 UTC 2017

On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 5:30 AM, Mark Mandel <thnidu at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dictionary definitions often sound like that when they involve something
> abstract. That doesn't mean they're wrong: just that nobody ever tries to
> define them in conversation with the precision and register expected in
> dictionary definitions.

Slang term vs. standard term is the problem. Even though reading the very
few literary examples of _dick-string_ leaves the determination of the
exact definition(s) of _dick-string_ as an exercise for the reader, the
compiler of a dictionary unequivocally states that the sole meaning of
_dick-string_ is a definition that is no more than a tradition among
lexicographers, whereas the definition of _honor_ is shown - dare I say it?
- a very high degree of _respect_ that is missing from the single,
pulled-out-of-a-lexicographer’s-ass definition that suffices for the slang
term.

--
-Wilson
-----