[Ads-l] Quote: My cousin Francis and I are perfectly agreed on the subject of Milan; he wants it for himself and so do I

Wed Mar 15 06:17:21 UTC 2017

Charles V of Spain and Francis (Francois) I of France fought for the
control of Milan in the 1520s and 1530s. A professor asked me to
attempt to trace an interesting quotation about this rivalry that has
been attributed to Charles V.

The 1853 citation given below is a few centuries too late. Of course,
early instances might be in Spanish, French, or some other language. I
tried some queries in the Early English Books Online database but
found nothing germane. A list member might do better. Are there other
pertinent databases?

Date: July 1, 1853
Periodical: The Westminster and Foreign Quarterly Review
Volume 60, Number 117
Article: Sects and Secular Education (Review of five books)
Start Page 112, Quote Page 113
Publisher: John Chapman, London

https://books.google.com/books?id=9p1ZAAAAcAAJ&q=%22of+Milan%22#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
"My cousin Francis and I," said the emperor Charles V., "are perfectly
agreed on the subject of Milan; he wants it for himself and so do I."
The question of leaving Milan alone was not on the tapis. Sooner
should the whole territory be ravaged with fire and sword, and sooner
should the throat of every Milanese be cut, than Charles give way to
Francis, or Francis to Charles.
[End excerpt]

Year: 1866
Title: Letters on England