[Ads-l] Awe-dropping revisited?

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Fri Mar 17 02:57:24 UTC 2017

I'm not sure why Larry thinks the intro is not Ira Gershwin's... it was
there from the beginning, as can be heard in the 1928 recording with Adele
Astaire (Fred's sister), who had first sung "'S Wonderful" on Broadway the
previous year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aQ5uqreUOM
(skip the first 1:20 or so, which is Bernard Clifton's part)

Adele sings it not as "filled me with awe" but as an exultant "...aaahhh!"

In the Ira Gershwin anthology _Lyrics on Several Occasions_, it's
transcribed as (small-caps) "aah!"

https://books.google.com/books?id=A9D2zWO7kygC&pg=PA252

I take it as a pun on "awe," and the unmerged "aah" makes the wordplay work.