[Ads-l] Let's eat grandpa: why punctuation isn't a matter of life and

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Fri Mar 17 22:25:10 UTC 2017

I seriously doubt whether the presence or absence of a comma would have made a
blind bit of difference to the result of the Casement trial.  The government of
the day was out to get Casement, and the selective leaking of heavily doctored
portions of the so-called Black Diaries had managed to turn the English public
against him.  Even Joseph Conrad, who had admired Casement's work in the Congo
and gave him a short, if unnamed, part in _Heart of Darkness_, as one of the few
sympathetic white characters there, turned against Casement and argued against a
pardon.

"The ghost of Roger Casement / Is knocking at the door."

Robin Hamilton