[Ads-l] The peasants are revolting (Comic: The Wizard of Id)

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at NETSCAPE.COM
Tue Mar 21 08:18:08 UTC 2017

On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 12:00:02 Zone - 0400 ADSGarson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
Subject: The peasants are revolting (Comic: The Wizard of Id)

>The double-meaning of the phrase "The peasants are revolting" was
>featured in the comic strip "The Wizard of Id".

Google Books gives a snippet view which is dated 1959:

https://books.google.com/books?id=gNjVAAAAMAAJ&q=%22isn't+that+revolting%22&dq=%22isn't+that+revolting%22&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi17f3WkufSAhXGMyYKHXBBDq0Q6AEIMTAF

The Irish Digest  volume 67  page 158
<quote>
Said a Mexican describing his country to an Irishman:
"Our most popular sport is bull-fighting."
"Isn't that revolting?" he asked.
"No," smiled the Mexican---"that the second most <end of snippet>
</quote>

Also from the Barnaby strip:  "Little Men's Marching and Chowder Society" (or was it "Chowder and Marching Society"?)

- Jim Landau