[Ads-l] "Save a horse, ride a cowboy:

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Mar 21 22:59:17 UTC 2017

November 19, 2002 - US Patent and Trademark Office - application for trademark status published.

SAVE A HORSE RIDE A COWBOY - for shirts, pants, hats, socks, underwear.

________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Arnold M. Zwicky <zwicky at STANFORD.EDU>
Sent: Tuesday, March 21, 2017 5:28:49 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: "Save a horse, ride a cowboy:

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       "Arnold M. Zwicky" <zwicky at STANFORD.EDU>

I wrote:

> on my blog, a discussion that gets the quotation back only to a song rele=
ased in 2004:
>=20
> https://arnoldzwicky.org/2017/03/20/save-a-horse-ride-a-cowboy/
>=20
> anyone have further knowledge?

and got the very useful reply:

> On Mar 20, 2017, at 12:54 PM, Peter Reitan <pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:
>=20
> One year earlier, different singer:
>=20
> "With roots in Manitoba and Rapid City, S. D., Bonar - pronounced like "h=
onor" - exudes the bright-eyed charm of a small-town girl, but with hints o=
f big-city cynicism.  On the CD's [(The Size of Plantets)] opening track, "=
Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy," she half-heardedly dreams of a home on the ra=
nge with horses and 12 kids.
> The Star Tribune (Minneapolis), April 25, 2003, page E4 (Newspapers.com).
>=20
> It is not the same as Big and Rich's "Hick Hop" rap of the same name.

not at all the same.  and the Bonar song has "save a horse..." only in the =
title, suggesting that it was in fact a familiar saying.

arnold