[Ads-l] Famous Quotations from Comic Strips

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at NETSCAPE.COM
Sun Mar 26 13:38:49 UTC 2017

"Dagwood sandwich" from the Blondie strip (although that actual phrase may never have occurred in the strip)

"Sad Sack" from strip of same name---according to Wikipedia "The title was a euphemistic shortening of the military slang "sad sack of shit", common during World War II."   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sad_Sack

Mutt and Jeff---I have almost never read this strip, so again from Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutt_and_Jeff:

Characteristic lines and catchphrases that appeared often during the run of the strip included "Nix, Mutt, nix!", "For the love of Mike!" and "Oowah!

The "good cop/bad cop" police interrogation tactic is also called "Mutt and Jeff".[22]
In rhyming slang, "mutton" is used as a shortening of "Mutt'n'Jeff", meaning "deaf".[22]
In Frank Henenlotter's Frankenhooker, when Jeffery Franken is going through various body parts, he refers to two mismatched breasts as 'Mutt and Jeff'.
In the TV series Twin Peaks' pilot, Bookhouse Boy biker Joey Paulsen says to the fellow biker sitting next to him at The Roadhouse "Look, it's Mutt 'n Jeff' when Bobby Briggs and Mike Nelson enter the bar.
In Disney's Aladdin stage musical, Mutt and Jeff are referred to by name as examples of great friends.
Any pair of individuals of different sizes has come to be known as a "Mutt and Jeff".
In a Gasoline Alley sequence begun on October 19, 2015, Mutt telephones Walt Wallet with news regarding Jeff.
Paul Brickhill (in The Dam Busters) referred to two test pilots as Mutt and Jeff.
In The Simpsons episode Helter Shelter in which the Simpsons participate in a reality television game show in which they live in Victorian house and have access to items available only in 1895, Bart laments having access only to Mutt and Jeff comic books and is quoted as saying, "This has been the worst week of my life. I miss my toys and my video games. Mutt and Jeff comics are NOT funny! They're gay, I get it!".[23] Mutt and Jeff was not created until 1907.

   - Jim Landau