[Ads-l] For want of an apostrophe ... [correction to the OED]

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Tue Mar 28 22:16:04 UTC 2017

The original text in Richard Head's _The English Rogue_ (1665) reads:

(Head)   "Some of the men were all bloody, and their Mobs Scarfs and Hoods all
rent, and
none of them sober: ..."

The OED repunctuates thus:

(OED)   "Their Mobs, Scarfs, and Hoods all rent."

[Actually, what I hadn't noted before, the OED also decides to capitalise
"Their", so the OED makes three changes to Head's original text, against my one.
 That's not even counting the colon-to-full-stop change in the OED.]

(Hamilton)   "Some of the men were all bloody, and their Mobs' Scarfs and Hoods
all rent, and
none of them sober: ..."

Both repunctuations make sense -- they do, however, make a different sense.

Context is all, quoth the Preacher ...

Robin

[Also, there's this, which I hadn't known till I thought to check in the wake of
Joel's post:

Nouns and adjectives

As in modern English, the only regular noun inflection was the -s ending of the
genitive and plural: irregular plurals were mostly the same as those that have
survived into recent English. The use of an apostrophe in the genitive singular
was optional in the sixteenth century; it was frequent in the seventeenth, but
only became established around 1700. *In the genitive plural the apostrophe was
not used in this period.* [My emphasis.]

Coincidentally, that's from elsewhere on the OED website --
http://public.oed.com/aspects-of-english/english-in-time/grammar-in-early-modern-english/

R.]