[Ads-l] "to ping"

MULLINS, WILLIAM D (Bill) CIV USARMY RDECOM AMRDEC (US) william.d.mullins18.civ at MAIL.MIL
Fri Mar 31 13:55:31 UTC 2017

> Either way, the
> political extension doesn't make that much of a sense as a
> metaphorical extension, even if the intended meaning of the users is fairly clear in context.
>
> Robin

Jon had earlier defined ping as "to contact, as by telephone or electronic device."  I tend to think ping has more of a sense of "interrogate" rather than "contact";  in which case the metaphorical extension makes more sense to me.