[Ads-l] susPECT, n.

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Mon May 1 05:37:24 UTC 2017

You can hear a relevant clip from "The Thin Man" in this episode of
the podcast Lexicon Valley, wherein John McWhorter discusses the
stress shift in "suspect" and similar cases (starting about 5 minutes
in).

http://www.slate.com/articles/podcasts/lexicon_valley/2016/08/how_pronunciation_changes_as_terms_go_from_new_to_mainstream.html