[Ads-l] Call for Papers 2018 American Dialect Society Meeting, Jan. 5=?UTF-8?Q?=E2=80=938=2C_?=Salt Lake City

Grant Barrett grantbarrett at GMAIL.COM
Mon May 1 15:35:04 UTC 2017

>From Thursday, January 4 through Sunday, January 7, 2018, ADS will again
follow the Linguistic Society of America westward, this time to Salt Lake
City, for our annual meeting at the Grand America Hotel.

Link to the full announcement: http://wp.me/p1Zkjb-5Bm

*Monday, August 14*, is the deadline for proposals for 20-minute
presentations. After successfully implementing a new procedure for 2017, we
will continue it this year. Abstracts will be submitted, reviewed and
processed for *ADS2018* via the EasyChair system using the following Web
site:

*https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=ads2018*
<https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=ads2018>*.*

Proposals will be judged anonymously by a team of ADS members. If your
proposal is accepted, you’ll be asked for an abstract of no more than 200
words for the LSA program.

This year a *poster session* will again be available. If you prefer to
present at a poster session, please say so with your proposal.

Presenters must be current members of the American Dialect Society. Do not
send the same proposal to both ADS and LSA. Do not submit papers

*Panels: *If you wish to propose a panel session of an hour, please get in
touch now with Program Chair *Michael Adams* at madams1448 at aol.com.

*Audio-visual equipment:* An LCD projector with sound will be available for
all presentations, along with a microphone. If you will need other
equipment, please say so when you send your proposal.

*Scheduling:* The meeting will follow this schedule:

*Thursday, January 4:* Executive Council and annual business meeting in
afternoon. Program session in late afternoon, followed by Word of the Year
nominations.

*Friday, January 5:* Program sessions in early morning and all afternoon.
Poster session in late morning. Words of the Year vote and
Bring-Your-Own-Book reception in early evening.

*Saturday, January 6:* Program sessions in morning and afternoon; Annual
Luncheon in between. Luncheon speaker: *Guy Bailey*, University of Texas
Rio Grande Valley. “The Life and Growth of Language in an Age of
Catastrophic Events.”

*Sunday, January 7:* Program sessions in morning.

*Session chairs:* If you’re interested in chairing a session, let the
Executive Secretary know at *americandialect at mac.edu*
<americandialect at mac.edu>. Tell him any preference you have for time or
topic.

*Travel grants for students:* Six travel grants of $500 each will be
awarded to students whose papers have been chosen for the program.
Furthermore, all students who are members of ADS are invited to attend the
Annual Luncheon for free.

*Travel grant for ADS member: *The seventh annual Audrey Duckert Memorial
Travel Award of $500 to attend the Annual Meeting will be given to an ADS
member. The recipient will be chosen by ADS President *Sali A. Tagliamonte*.
Applications in the form of a letter to President Tagliamonte will be due
after the program for the Annual Meeting has been determined. Audrey
Duckert was a long-time member of ADS and co-founder of the *Dictionary of
American Regional English*.

*Hotel and registration:* ADS members will be eligible to reserve rooms and
register for the meeting at LSA member rates. For details see the website
linguisticsociety.org
<http://www.linguisticsociety.org/event/lsa-2018-annual-meeting>.

*Future LSA-ADS meetings:* 2019: New York City, Jan. 3-6, Sheraton New York
Times Square.

*WOTY:* As we have done for a quarter of a century, we will choose
candidates for Word of the Year on Thursday and vote for our WOTY the next
day, with our Bring-Your-Own-Book exhibit and reception immediately
following. Nominations for Words of the Year can be submitted all year long
to *woty at americandialect.org* <woty at americandialect.org>.

Grant Barrett

American Dialect Society

Vice President of Communications and Technology

http://www.americandialect.org

grantbarrett at gmail.com