[Ads-l] "Yay long"

Wed May 3 22:54:39 UTC 2017

Great work, Bill. Here is an instance from June 1940 of the phrase
"yea large as" which is part of a comparison construct. I guess if you
say "yea large" and employ a hand motion then you are implicitly using
a comparison.

Interestingly, this item was first published in 1915 and the 1940
appearance was a reprint. Perhaps "yea large" is being used in a
different way? Or perhaps this citation will provide some etymological
insight.

Date: June 15, 1940
Newspaper: The Iola Register
Newspaper Location: Iola, Kansas
Article: 25 Years Ago - Items From The Register of June 15, 1915
Quote Page 4, Column 4
Database: Newspapers.com

https://www.newspapers.com/image/4910890/?terms=%22yea%2Blarge%22

[Begin excerpt]
W. P. Bell, of Wolf Bros, barber shop enters his Downing gooseberries
for the medal in their line. The berries are large as marbles, yea
large as the favorite "taw" of Skinnay who always shoots with the
largest "boulder" he can find. The bushes are but two years old and
are yielding six gallons each.
[End excerpt]

The article title indicated that the item was being reprinted from an
issue of the newspaper published in 1915, and that claim was true.
Here is the citation and a link: