[Ads-l] Bogus Andrew Johnson quote?

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri May 5 20:54:11 UTC 2017

Washington DC was originally ten miles squared - or 100 square miles.  It is smaller now, because corner was lopped off and given to Virginia.

________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Geoffrey Nathan <geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU>
Sent: Friday, May 5, 2017 1:14:21 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Bogus Andrew Johnson quote?

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       Geoffrey Nathan <geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU>

Although I can't date this with any precision, I know I heard the phrase in=
 the nineteen seventies, probably at a libertarian gathering, probably in H=
awaii. But the number was 24, not 12.=20

FWIW

Geoff

    =20
 Geoffrey S. Nathan
 WSU Information Privacy Officer
 Professor, Linguistics Program
 http://blogs.wayne.edu/proftech/
 +1 (313) 577-1259
 On Half-time: Generally not in office on Monday or Fridays but I do read e=
mail.
 Nobody at Wayne State will EVER ask you for your password. Never send it t=
o anyone in an email, no matter how authentic the email  looks.
=20
   =20