[Ads-l] access as a count noun - 1976

Barretts Mail mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Tue May 9 20:20:13 UTC 2017

In open defiance of Wiktionary (https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/access <https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/access>) and the online Oxford Dictionaries (https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/us/access <https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/us/access>, https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/us/access <https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/us/access>), today I saw a sign that said:

This is not a Public access!!

It is possible that it’s a noun like “breakfast” that favorably takes an article when there’s an adjective (I had breakfast already, I had a big breakfast), but I doubt it.

1. 1976 (Google-dated)
Public Access to the Great Lakes
Michael T. Neuman
http://bit.ly/2q3Hp8L <http://bit.ly/2q3Hp8L>

… this plan a Public Access to Water Resources Advisory Council, consisting of …

2. 2004 (Google-dated)
Canoeing The Driftless: A Paddlers Guide for Southeastern Minnesota
David J. Lind
http://bit.ly/2qOGdsY <http://bit.ly/2qOGdsY>

An optional put-in is a public access located by Black Bridge,…

Benjamin Barrett
Formerly of Seattle, WA