[Ads-l] jostaberry - 1985

Barretts Mail mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Wed May 10 19:54:39 UTC 2017

Today, I planted a jostaberry (Ribes nidigrolari) plant in my garden that I picked up from a nursery.

Not in the online Oxford Dictionaries or Merriam-Webster, jostaberry is in Wiktionary (https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/jostaberry <https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/jostaberry>) and Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jostaberry <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jostaberry>).

According to https://www.healthbenefitstimes.com/jostaberry-facts/ <https://www.healthbenefitstimes.com/jostaberry-facts/>, the jostaberry 'was developed by Dr Rudolph Bauer at Max-Planck Institute in Cologne Germany around 1970. The name Jostaberry was created via combining the German words for blackcurrant and gooseberry, namely Johannisbeere (“Jo”) and Stachelbeere (“Sta”). Following German pronunciation of “J”, it may be pronounced “yostaberry” in English.’

According to Stark Bro’s (https://www.starkbros.com/products/berry-plants/hybrid-berry-plants/jostaberry <https://www.starkbros.com/products/berry-plants/hybrid-berry-plants/jostaberry>), it debuted in 1977.

The Learning Library (https://garden.org/learn/articles/view/678/ <https://garden.org/learn/articles/view/678/>) and Grown Your Own (http://www.growyourown.info/page76.html <http://www.growyourown.info/page76.html>) also say 1977.

Citations

1. Google Scholar: 6 August 1985
The proline enigma: NaCl-tolerant and NaCl-sensitive callus lines of Cicer arietinum
Plant Science, vol. 40, issue 1
Ruchira Pandey, P.S. Ganapathy

http://bit.ly/2q6BdNq <http://bit.ly/2q6BdNq>

Fruit growth, cuticle deposition, water uptake, and fruit cracking in jostaberry, gooseberry, and black currant.

2. Google Books: 1992 (appears to be correct)
The Fruit Gardener, vol. 24
California Rare Fruit Growers
http://bit.ly/2q3yoyE <http://bit.ly/2q3yoyE>

p. xx
and the less familiar jostaberry, bayberry and kerriberry

p. 47
… American Persimmon and Jostaberry among others.

3. Google Books: 1993 (appears to be correct)
Creating a Garden for the Senses
Jeff Cox
http://bit.ly/2pA0ONT <http://bit.ly/2pA0ONT>

Only a snippet of the index is available:

p. 189
Jostaberry, 143

Benjamin Barrett
Formerly of Seattle, WA