[Ads-l] Attention Garson: new postdating of (metaphorical) "prime the pump"

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Fri May 12 19:47:38 UTC 2017

So clearly the original sense drew on water pumps, before petrol driven vehicles
were common, and was, in origin, specifically American.

I'm now wondering whether my association of the phrase with petrol pumps is a
misunderstanding peculiar to me, or whether it might just possibly represent a
Brit variant understanding of the term.  If (big "if") it entered Brit use
after, say, the 1950s, then at that point, in the UK, petrol pumps would be much
more familiar than water pumps.

Robin