[Ads-l] Attention Garson: new postdating of (metaphorical) "prime the pump"

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Fri May 12 19:58:46 UTC 2017

"not everyone would have been familiar with fuel pumps (which is what I assume a
“petrol pump” is ..."

The default UK understanding of the term "petrol pump" would be a thing found in
(American) a gas station, with a nozzle to stick into the car to fill the tank
with petrol.  Thus, yes, equivalent to US "fuel pump" (I presume).

Except both "fuel pump" and "petrol pump" could (am I right?) *also* be used to
refer to the mechanism inside a car which delivers fuel ("petrol" or "gas") from
the petrol/gas tank to the actual engine of the car.

[UK "gas" is, by default, a vapour rather than a liquid.]

Which was what I had (as is now obvious, anachronistically) in mind as lying
behind the term, "prime the pump".

Robin