[Ads-l] satyr = satirist?

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue May 16 16:03:53 UTC 2017

As for a drawbridge being an oxymoron, it depends on whether you are going by sea or by land.

________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of James A. Landau <JJJRLandau at NETSCAPE.COM>
Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2017 8:14 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: satyr = satirist?

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       "James A. Landau" <JJJRLandau at NETSCAPE.COM>

At a committee meeting to plan an upcoming brunch, someone said that we needed a humorous rather than a serious speaker.  His words were, "We need a comedian or a satyr".

Off-topic:  a woman describing a wedding said, "all the bridesmaids and all the groomsmaids..."

Oxymorons:

A drawbridge is open when it is closed and closed when it is open.

A postpaid mailer is prepaid.

   - Jim Landau

Netscape.  Just the Net You Need.